SALT Report 1136 – The Texas Comptroller has issued a reminder to all taxpayers that a $50 late filing penalty will be assessed on every report filed after the October 1, 2011 due date. The $50 penalty is due in addition to any other penalties assessed for the reporting period.
Prior to this provision, $50 penalties were only imposed on the third late filing of sales and use tax; maquiladora; fireworks, and off-road and heavy-duty diesel equipment surcharge reports. This provision repeals Tax Code Section 151.7031, the statute that prohibited the application of the $50 late filing penalty to the first two occurrences of late filing.
The late fee now affects the following taxes:
- 911 prepaid wireless emergency service fee
- Franchise tax
- Hotel occupancy tax
- Maquiladora export tax
- Motor fuels tax
- Motor vehicle gross rental receipts tax
- Motor vehicle seller financed sales tax
- Sales and use tax (including direct pay); and
- Off-road, heavy-duty diesel equipment surcharge
For Further Information: