SALT Report 1203 – The Hawaii Department of Taxation updated their guidance regarding general excise and use tax exemptions under Act 105 (S.B. 754), Laws 2011, which temporarily suspends certain tax exemptions from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2013. For taxpayers involved in the following activities and split their commissions or gross proceeds with others are subject to tax only on the portion retained by that taxpayer.
Those activities include:
- Operating coin-operated devices;
- Producing an event or spectacle and/or promoting a staged event;
- Selling insurance or real estate;
- Selling tour packages; or
- Furnishing transportation of passengers or property through arrangements between motor carriers