SALT Report 1569 – The Washington Department of Revenue updated their tax guidance for printers and publishers of newspapers. Effective July 1, 2012 Senate Bill 6635 will amend the deﬁnition of “newspaper” and adjust the B&O tax rate for printers and publishers of newspapers.
The definition of “newspaper” has been amended to include electronic, or online, versions of newspapers. Online versions of printed newspapers are those that:
- Share content with the printed newspaper, and
- Are prominently identified by the same name as the printed newspaper or otherwise conspicuously indicate that it is a complement to the printed newspaper
The following B&O tax rates will apply to printers and publishers of newspapers:
- Effective July 1, 2012 a rate of 0.365%
- Effective July 1, 2013 a rate of 0.35%, and
- Effective July 1, 2015 a rate of 0.2904%
These rates are set to expire on July 1, 2015 and the deﬁnition of “newspaper” will revert to its previous meaning.
For Further Information: