SALT Report 1605 – The Kansas Department of Revenue reminds taxpayers that due to recently passed legislation the refund of sales tax paid for food expires at the end of the 2012 tax year. House Bill 2117 provides that as of January 1, 2013, the food sales tax refund statutes found in K.S.A. 79-3633 through 79-3639 are repealed.
Through the end of 2012, the refund will be available to individuals:
- Who reside in Kansas the entire year
- Whose household income is less than $35,401
- Who are 55 years of age or older
- Who are totally and permanently disabled or blind, or
- Who have a dependent under the age of 18 living with them the entire year
Claims for the 2012 year should be made on the 2012 individual income tax return filed in 2013.
For Further Information: