SALT Report 1684 – The New York State Department of Taxation announced that it is in the process of implementing a more business friendly online sales tax system beginning September 4, 2012. The new system will allow businesses to perform all their sales tax filing and reporting requirements in one place, online. The customer-focused, electronic system was developed with input from thousands of businesses. Some of the requested features include:
- The ability to securely schedule payments in advance,
- Store bank information for future returns,
- Electronically provide documentation supporting any claims for a refund or credit, and
- When filing a final return, you’ll be able to explain the reason you’ve closed your business, and provide information about the sale of your business assets.
Once the new system is operational, vendors will be asked to report additional information about their sales activity and other business information such as:
- Total non-taxable and exempt sales, and
- The amount of debit and credit card deposits
- Information will be collected for every jurisdiction in which you report sales, separately report receipts, purchases, and for any credits claimed, and
- Information about the credits claimed
The ID numbers of the entity that reports the income from the sales that are reported on the sales tax return. This can be either:
- A business entity with a federal employer identification number, or
- An individual with a social security number
The new system will be available for filing periods after September 20, 2012; returns due on or before September 20, 2012 will be filed under the old system.
For Further Information: