SALT Report 2759 – The Louisiana Department of Revenue has announced the dates for their upcoming amnesty program. The program is called “A Fresh Start’ and is scheduled to begin on September 23, 2013 and end on November 22, 2013.
The program allows taxpayers who have fallen behind on their tax debts or filing requirements to bring their accounts up to date. If a taxpayer successfully fulfills the program requirements the Department will waive all penalties and 50% of the interest that would normally be imposed.
To qualify for the program, taxpayers must meet one of the following conditions:
- The taxpayer has received a notice for failure to timely file a return or for failure to remit an amount owed,
- The taxpayer has an outstanding tax liability but has never filed a Louisiana return,
- The taxpayer has an outstanding tax liability but has not been billed by the Department,
- A lien has been issued against the taxpayer’s property,
- The Department has initiated proceedings under assessment and distraint procedures,
- The Department has entered into an installment agreement with the taxpayer,
- The taxpayer has filed for bankruptcy protection,
- The taxpayer is involved in a field audit,
- The taxpayer is involved in litigation,
- The taxpayer’s liability consists of interest and penalties or interest or penalties
All eligible taxpayers will soon receive a letter from the Secretary of Revenue along with an application and voucher that shows the eligible tax periods and amounts due.
For Further Information